Denver, CO asked in Real Estate Law for Colorado

Q: Can a boyfriend have claim on my condo if has lived in it with me for 8 years? I want him out of my home.

I purchased my condo in 2008. He moved in 2014 and still in my place now in 2022. We have a child together. If I get him out of my home can he have claim on half of my condo?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Parker, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: That really depends. If you never transferred any type of ownership interest to him then in theory you should still own 100% unless you held out as married or did something else that would allow him to acquire an interest in the property.

That being said, you need to be aware of other legal concepts such as unjust enrichment and so on. In short, you need to contact an attorney. Without the full story, it would be impossible to tell what rights your soon-to-be ex may have. If he paid for everything including the house payment with the understanding that you would grant him an interest you may have a real problem.

Please be aware that any answer is based on all the events occurring in Colorado. Further, please be aware that this is not legal advice. This is generic information intended to help the reader develop questions to ask an attorney when they are ready. Each case is different. Anyone reading this answer in need of legal advice should contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.