Omaha, NE asked in Contracts for Nebraska

Q: I sold my bar to a lady who paid half up front and I self financed 303K over 5 years for her. She has yet to pay on it.

She is 4 payments behind and has a variety of reasons why she won't pay so I got a lawyer to send a demand letter. She has not responded to this either. I was wondering what the possible outcomes are on this? I can file a breach of contract suit obviously but what are the usual outcomes on that and my chances of getting paid?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The Court will generally enforce the terms of a written contract. However, the odds of your success in the action depend on a lot of factors, including the specific terms written. Also, keep in mind that even if you receive a monetary judgment against the other party, it is harder to actually collect the funds owed from some people more so than others. Your attorney can guide you as to your odds in the case. If you aren't confident in your attorney's advice, it may be time to seek a second opinion or new counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.