Colton, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: My son was injured in my home. Landlord had not repaired the broken doors. What can I do?

Closet doors fallen on my son's head and had to get 7 staples to his wounded head. Can I sue landlord? They have yet to fix closet doors. Incident happened in July and it is now November. Closet door been broken for years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James R. Dickinson
James R. Dickinson
  • San Bernardino, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If landlord was aware of the dangerous condition causing injury, you or your son may be entitled to relief against him or her. Also, you may have rights as a tenant regarding repairing and deducting from the rent. You don't want to repair anything however until you've first pursued the injury claim, if any. Speak with a local attorney. [I litigate cases. Anything posted here must not be construed as legal advice, nor as grounds for forming an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for formal legal advice and representation.]

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.