West Jordan, UT asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Idaho

Q: The child turned 16 years old and has a full-time job. The child lives 187 miles from the non-custodial parent.

Our child just started a full-time job and lives 187 miles away from the non-custodial parent, who has every other weekend and every other holiday visitation. The non-custodial parent is requiring the child's employer to follow the court order visitation. Does the employer have to follow this order? What is the best way to allow the child to continue their job?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: No private party may require a non-party to do anything. If you believe the father is requiring a non-party to obey your Decree of Divorce, then please disabuse yourself of this belief. This also has nothing to do with how far your child lives from the father. The ONLY considerations you should focus on are:

1. Did the Decree give you the right to move so far away from the non-custodial parent is unable to exercise his visitation; and

2. If the Decree was entered before I moved 187 miles from the Father, you should expect to have a Motion to Modify Custody coming to you! Most courts I practice in will let the custodial parent to move any place they choose- but just don’t take the minor child with you. Did you move with your child without asking the Court for permission? The father might now ask for 6-8 weeks of contiguous custody during the Summer and EVERY holiday, since you (may have), unilaterally taken his every other weekend visitation away from him.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.