Brooklyn, NY asked in Military Law, Animal / Dog Law and Civil Rights for New York

Q: can i get my dogs back if im a disabled veteran ptsd 70% and sign a surrender from due to lack of payment for treatment

My dogs contracted parvovirus no veterinarian in nyc would help me unless i had funds which i dont. i had to surrender the puppies to ACC (Animal control center) they had me sign surrender form and told me that i cant get them back because im surrendering them. which i get but these are my emotional support dogs and they wouldve died with 24hr if they didnt get treatment. so i really didnt have a choice. my question is can i get them back due to the fact they are emotional support animals to relieve my ptsd.

1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: By surrendering them, you have no further legal claim. If they are being re-homed, you can apply to adopt them. However, your inability to provide for their medical needs in the past will likely be taken into account.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.