McKinleyville, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: What is the best defense to a charge of exhibiting a concealable firearm in CA? I was not arrested/detained/questioned!

The company I drive for has inward and outward facing cameras so the following incident is on video.

I flipped off a semitruck driver who almost hit me as i passed him. He then drove recklessly in order to follow me through town. Once I reached a red light he pulled up on my driver side. He started to exit through his passenger door while screaming at me. I had a replica handgun that I displayed hoping to deter him from exiting his truck any further. It worked. The light turned green, I drove off, and went about my day.

Now, a month later, I Receive a letter from the DA informing me of a criminal charge being filed against me for exhibiting a concealable firearm in public.

The truck driver claimed he saw me on side of the road and stopped to see if i needed help and I then brandished a gun and drove off. I only know that because i just listened to the archived dispatch call.

I wasnt arrested and all they have is a video and his claim.

I have not spoke to an officer at all.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you should seek the guidance of a local criminal lawyer and explain what you have said here.

criminal lawyers defend someone charged with a crime...........they don't create a phony defense.

if there is video view all video to see if there is something that substantiates your comments.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.