Sacramento, CA asked in Estate Planning, International Law and Probate for Nevada

Q: I live in nevada but my father died 5 days ago in Cairo egypt. How do I get my Inheritance and life insurance policy's

I am an only child and my father wasn't married. My father was Muslim- I am not. I am female. My father told me about the bank accounts and investments and insurance policies he was leaving me. How do I get them when I'm in Nevada?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kirk Kaplan
Kirk Kaplan
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: An attorney familiar with Egyptian law will very likely provide a much better answer than I will. But just in case one does not leave an answer, maybe my answer will be a good start. In the US, the laws governing how property passes to heirs/descendants, depends upon residence of the deceased at death. In other words where did the deceased reside when s/he died? The law existing where the deceased died governs how personal property (things you can pick up, including cash and securities) pass to surviving heirs/descendants. Also governing law may allow for an instrument to dispose of property; in the US and many parts of the world this instrument is known as a Last Will. So the direction this is all going, is you should attempt to contact the equivalent of an attorney focusing on property conveyance at death in Egypt.

In re the life insurance policy, you will need to determine the company your father was insured through and file a claim.

I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.