Brooklyn, NY asked in Contracts for New York

Q: Can I get some of my money back from an immigration lawyer for uncompleted work?

I paid about 9.5k for a couple of applications. The attorney only completed 1 of them. I changed my representative. Now when I contact them, they tell me that since I changed representatives, they won’t refund me. Isn’t that unethical? They haven’t worked on the rest of my case, so why take my money? Just refund me whatever is left of that 9.5k.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can sue for a refund. Since it is in NYC and under $10,000 it is small claims. You can do it yourself. Go to the Civil Court at 141 Livingston Street and go to the Small Claims clerk.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.