Duncan, SC asked in Divorce for South Carolina

Q: If the defendant in a divorce hearing in SC is in default, will it matter if he does not show up to the final hearing?

I live in SC. I filed for a divorce--super easy nothing to split and joint custody, no disputes. Defendant also wants a divorce, been apart for over 4 years. However, he did not turn in the required paperwork and has not responded if he will attend the hearing. Will this be a problem if he does not bother showing up? Will the judge still grant the dicorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Under Family Court Rule 17, the judge can hold the Defendant in default and grant the relief requested by the Plaintiff, even if the Defendant does not appear at the hearing; provided, the Defendant must have been given proper notice of the hearing (which, for a final hearing, means the notice has to be mailed certified with a registered receipt).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.