Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Self representation and questions relating

I want to go to court and defend myself. I don't want to deny the fact that the narcotics where mine. I want to go and express the unfair the way the da has treated my case. When I bonded out I went to inpatient rehab. Successfully completed that. Got an apprenticeship job to be an electrician. I started going to mental health. I took care of my dying grandmother. I have support letters. I have 27 month done flat. And a year on the street and after everything I have brought her showing I am trying to change my life she says she don't care. I've been offered 6 years for 1.7 grams. She is basically telling me and I'm sure many others who suffers from drug addiction that there is nothing they can do to redeem there selfs. When you do a crime there should be punishment but it should be just a little more about helping people who struggle. Prisons idea of help is sending you to a joke of a program then instead of sending home where it's safe they send me to drug infested halfway house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In Texas, you have the right to represent yourself in a criminal case. You also have the right to rebuild the engine of your car.

The question is do you have the knowledge and ability to do so properly.

If you do not, it is almost always better to hire someone who does have that knowledge and ability to do it for you.

Kiele Linroth Pace agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.