Asked in Child Custody for Michigan

Q: Can a legal guardian leave their child in a country abroad if that child has no legal relation to anyone there?

I am 15 years old and have been living in Morocco for a little over a year now. I got here in early October. My guardian has been heavily abusive, both physically and verbally. She takes advantage of us not being in america and has cut my communication with everyone. I have no means of talking to anyone other than a phone she does not know about. She's returning to america in early March 2023 to give birth. She does not intend to come back for over a year, and I currently do not have residency of any form here. She intends to leave me with her husband, who is legally married to her. Though he does not have any legal relation to me, and is a citizen of Morocco making less than 30$ a day. I'm from Escanaba Michigan and was adopted by her 3-4 years ago. Can she be charged after leaving me if I'm reported missing by a relative in america?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Without knowing all relevant details, it's hard to say. By your question, I assume you have US citizenship. If so, you may want to try contacting the US embassy or consulate.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.