Clarkston, GA asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Alabama

Q: If my grandchild is 15 and horribly disrespectful in MANY ways, can I press charges and him be taking to bootcamp?

This child lives in my home and his mother as well. His mother lets him get away with literally EVERYTHING and won't do anything about his behavior. He has broken things in my home, disrespectful, smoking cigarettes, walks the roads whenever he pleases, cusses all the time and back talks horribly to every adult.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hayden Glass Sizemore
Hayden Glass Sizemore
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: It is possible that you could file a CHINS (child in need of supervision) petition in the juvenile court for your county. However, before you seek that remedy, perhaps you should talk to the mother and explain your frustration with the child's behavior while the two are residing with you. After all, it sounds as though you are permitting them to live with you. You would not simply be able to send the child to "boot camp" or "press charges" against him unless he has committed a criminal act and is adjudicated delinquent. Even if adjudicated delinquent, it would be at the discretion of the juvenile judge as to whether "boot camp" or juvenile detention is appropriate. It sounds like counseling or some other intervention is more appropriate than having the child removed from the home. Best of luck to you and your family.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.