Birmingham, AL asked in Civil Litigation for Alabama

Q: How should one notify the parties to a pending lawsuit of a change of address?

The state is Alabama. The Plaintiff is pro se, still waiting on an answer from the Defendant and has just moved to a new house (same county & state). Im just wondering if i should maybe write a simple letter of notice and file it with the case, or what. I scoured the local rules and everything but haven't found an answer. My ex-landlord is rts'ing all of my mail.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hayden Glass Sizemore
Hayden Glass Sizemore
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: I assume that you are the pro se plaintiff. If so, you need to notify the Clerk of Court of your new address. You can do so my sending a note to the Clerk requesting that your address be updated. It would be wise to notify the defendant of the change. If the defendant has already been served with the complaint, they only have a short window to respond (14 or 30 days).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.