New Brockton, AL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Mississippi

Q: If you are legally prescribed suboxone by a doctor can a judge refuse custody an visitation due to taking it

I took a drug test and that was the only thing in my system and I go to a doctor who legally prescribes the suboxone to me

1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: If the Judge finds that you are not taking the medication as prescribed, he/she can deny custody or restrict visitation. If you are monitored by a physician, take the medication as prescribed, have had no relapses in your original addiction, and have not had any adverse incidents, you will probably be ok. However, keep in mind that the Chancellor will make a ruling that he/she believes is in the best interest of the child(ren), and your original addiction, as well as your use of the suboxone, which is another addictive substance, will be factors in that decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.