Cottage Grove, OR asked in Animal / Dog Law and Civil Rights for Oregon

Q: My late fiancés mom is trying to take my dogs from me because she is executor of his will. Do I have any rights?

I was a live in girlfriend and care provider to him while he battled cancer and seizures for 8 years

1 Lawyer Answer
Jina Ly Clark
Jina Ly Clark
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You must be in a rough state of mind losing your boyfriend and your dogs. If you have title to the dogs or other documentation of ownership of the dogs, you should be able to get your dogs back. Unfortunately, the cost of hiring an attorney would likely exceed the value of the dogs. You might want to try small claims court. Be prepared with documentation to prove the dogs are yours.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.