Asked in Child Support for Idaho

Q: Do I need to pay child support in arrears in idaho? My child is 26 almost 27.

Owed something in the amount of $20, 000.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Your question doesn’t give enough information to answer competently. Have you been sued for arrears already? Was the Support Order reduced to a money judgment? Do you have any paperwork concerning what happened 26 almost 27 years ago?

Generally speaking, child support is ordered by a court. Court orders are enforced by means of motions for contempt. Alternatively, delinquent CS can be reduced (morphed) into a Judgment for money. Money judgments must be renewed every five (5) years, in order to keep them active. If the original judgment for CS hasn’t morphed into a money judgment, then it may still be enforced by the oblige, by filing a Motion for Contempt. I’m not aware of an statute of limitations on enforcement of court orders.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.