Asked in Small Claims for Florida

Q: What will happen to me if I don’t pay my student credit card balance of 1000 and I leave the country of USA

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: They will possibly/likely file a small claims lawsuit against you, your credit will deteriorate, and you will get late payments until it is written off, likely ruining your credit for at least 7 years until it drops off, you wont be able to get credit, your credit score will be substantially lowered and any credit you get will be at a much higher interest rate, if you apply for certain jobs you will have to explain, fix or address this debt, you may not get certain jobs or licenses until you address this debt potentially. Most vitally the lawsuit filing company, probably a collections company will get a default judgment against you and then you will have this hanging over your head as a collectable judgment for potentially at least 10 years, then they can renew it again and it will hand over your head even longer if they are so motivated. These are some of the potential outcomes, but potential consequences as you can see can be quite long lasting and enduring and the results quite substantial. It is possible nothing will happen other than lousy credit, per above, not sure you want to take that chance. If you have a ton of debt, then bankruptcy is a possibility if really desperate, if this is the only debt and you can pay a small sum, pay monthly $20 or whatever you can afford or try to settle for a lump sum, If you will never return to the USA and do not care, then do not worry about it keeping the above in mind. Depending on how old the debt is, who own it and how long ago you last paid, maybe the statute of limitations will apply or possibly some other defense, much honestly just depends on additional circumstances and details.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.