Birmingham, AL asked in Family Law for Alabama

Q: In Alabama can a 18 year old be legally kicked out of the house if they are still in high school?

The 18 year old will not abide by the rules of the home, becomes confrontational and even aggressive at times (yes reports have been filed) when told or asked to do things or will just simply not do them. They will not abide by any punishment they are given unless as the say, they are going to allow us to punish them. They have lost ALL respect for anyone that doesn’t let them have their way. Our hands are tied as parents at this point. So we are thinking this is the option we have left because all others we have tried have failed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hayden Glass Sizemore
Hayden Glass Sizemore
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You can file a CHINS (child in need of supervision) petition with the juvenile court in your county, and ask the court to intervene. Otherwise, the legal age of majority in Alabama is 19, and you are obligated as parents to support the child until he or she attains age 19. Perhaps you can explore the possibility of the child staying with a relative for awhile rather than "kicking them out."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.