West Valley City, UT asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Idaho

Q: Need some one that handles police misconduct claims for damages / criminal defense

Have a criminal charge stemming from a really bad traffic stop call. The whole traffic stop threw arrest and release and still going and being monitored have been very poorly handled and quite frankly very qurationble have CT datw 12-12 2022 and my defense lawyer passed away

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: You need to do the following:

1. Determine whether the offending officer was a Boise City cop; or an Idaho State Trooper. This is important because you can look up the "Idaho Tort Claims Act," and it says you only have 180 days from the day you "should have been able to know that your rights were violated," in which to file your Tort Claim. If it is the Boise City Police, their office is on "Mark Stahl Place," in Boise. If it is ISP, you'll need to look where their office is. I noticed that your question is several days old, so please make the day you were stopped (or bothered) day One, and count to 180 on your calendar. On the 180th day, you need to write "LAST DAY TO FILE AND SERVED TORT CLAIM," because failure to file timely is "jurisdictional." This means that the Court will deny your claim by saying that "it does not have jurisdiction or the right" to find relief for you.

Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.