New Castle, DE asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: To amend my Counterclaim do I just write I want to add a Count V to be joined to my original Counterclaim and file that?

My lawyer filed my Counterclaim but he left out alimony as a claim. Can I type a new document to add “Count V - Alimony” to be joined to my original Counterclaim that was already filed or do I have to write the entire counterclaim word for word with Amended Counterclaim as the heading and then put in Count V at the end?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Schenectady, NY
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: We really cannot go behind the back of an asker's lawyer and provide hip-pocket guidance and advice. The asker must address her concerns with her lawyer.

There are many reasons why alimony is not an appropriate prayer for relief. Both parties may be huge earners who would not qualify for alimony. Or, perhaps the lawyer had to rush to file the divorce action, and did not include a prayer for alimony. He can move to amend the complaint and the court will likely grant it.

There are many good reasons a lawyer does or does not do in a court case. Further, everything is correctable and adjustable. There is no need to go behind the lawyer's back and seek a second opinion as to how to amend a pleading assuming that is the appropriate procedural step to take. Only unethical lawyers will subvert the asker's attorney-client relationship in an attempt to bounce the prior lawyer and take over the case and get paid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.