New Castle, DE asked in Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania

Q: Will it be possible to reduce my fine and reduce the points on my driving record?

So I was pulled over a month ago for speeding. Officer had me doing 15 over. I was on the clock for my job in a company vehicle so she just took down my information and said she’d send the citation in the mail. Fast forward to this past Monday and I finally received something in the mail from the Magisterial Court. I was relieved thinking it was the citation. Boy was I wrong. It was a notice for suspension of my license for not responding to the citation. Well I never received the citation in the mail so it’s clear that officer never mailed anything out. To make matters worse, she said she was gonna mark it down to 5-10 over the speed limit but on the notice of suspension it says exceed by 15 mph. So she obviously lied about that. I have a hearing but I’m wondering if now things swing in my favor because of the citation I never received. Luckily my work truck has a camera and I know she had one on so I’m thinking I could use that as evidence if needed be. Help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellis B. Klein
Ellis B. Klein
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Doylestown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You need to get a lawyer to assist. The notice of suspension was because you did not enter a plea on the ticket. It was likely sent to the address on your license. If you have not already, you should contact the court and plead not guilty and then your license would not be suspended. A lawyer can assist is getting the citation reduced, hopefully to no points so you insurance doesn't see the ticket. Also, some court will let your lawyer attend for you, so you may not even have to physically go to court. A lawyer is a good investment so hopefully your insurance won't increase as a result. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.