Trenton, NJ asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Construction Law for New Jersey

Q: Possibly civil suit between a contractor.Owner didn’t know existed wants to talk. Do I let him In my house? He’s never

Owner never been to my house or saw the work. His uncle the Forman represented himself as owner and gave estimate. Came back 3 times over 3 months when I complained. Now I fired them and owner wants to talk to see what work they can finish and get paid for. He’s never been in my home and he’s the only one I know licensed in NJ as electrician & home contractor. Some of this money is from FEMA to fix Hurricane IDA damage. The work is not done right so after attempting to talk to foreman who I thought was the owner I fired him & started to piece back together my house because we have 3 kids and my husband needed a office to work from. Job started in May it’s now December. Forman also is pushy, vulgar and calls you mean names if you disagree with anything he says. We have tried to work it out but the foreman started playing games of when he could finish my job and how it needed to be rescheduled. We found that as abandonment. Owner wants to talk and get his stuff.DO I LET HIM IN MY HOUSE?

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: No you do not let him into your house at all. You need to retain an experienced civil litigation attorney who knows how to utilize the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act (if successful you will be awarded triple damages, plus attorney fees) and the Federal Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. But you are responsible for your own legal fees at all times. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.