St. Petersburg, FL asked in Employment Law, Workers' Compensation and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Florida

Q: What can I do about a failed workmans comp drug test for prescription medical marijuana?

My husband cut his hand at work. It was very minor. His employer thought it would be a good idea to go to a doctor and file a claim with workmans comp. My husband told his employer he smoked marijuana and had a prescription, they said it was fine so against his better judgement and at the request of his employer he went through worksmans comp. He failed the drug test-for his prescription marijuana. Now workmans comp wants him to do 6 months random drug testing, he will fail as he has a medical marijuana prescription. His company loves him and wants to keep him so they said he can become a contractor instead of an employee, he would like stay an employee for the benefits. Is there anything we can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Phillip Vassallo
Brian Phillip Vassallo
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Work comp shouldn't be requiring random drug testing as it relates to the injury and original date of accident unless the authorized treating physician is prescribing medications and drug testing is medically necessary. However, the employer may have a drug free workplace program in place but your husband should have been provided with the employer's written policy as to the drug free workplace. If the employer has an established drug free workplace program and meets all the requirements, random drug testing may be a requirement. I haven't reviewed the employer's policy but employer's who have an established drug free workplace are probably receiving a discount on their workers' compensation premiums so if they don't drug test, it's possible they may lose that discount. I'd recommending contacting a workers compensation attorney to discuss the situation in more detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.