Grove, OK asked in Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: I missed my initial divorce hearing, due to a misunderstanding of the summons. Can I request a new hearing? Which form?

Particularly like to re-visit custody and child support portions of the decree. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: First thing you should do is take all of your documents to an attorney so they can check the court file and see if either a temporary order or a default decree has been filed. If there has been a default order entered and you catch it quick enough you may be able to seek relief. After sorting out the status of your case your attorney can then tell you what you need to do next. There are time limitations so you should do this asap.

I wish you the best of luck with your case!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.