Bay City, MI asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan

Q: can a parent get custody if they don't have a job?

my girlfriend has two children. right now, the arrangement is that she has the kids Monday to Friday, they go with their dad Friday night till Sunday night. he is about $5,000 behind on child support. his driver's license is suspended (he still drives even with the children). he says he isn't working, but he is. he gets paid under the table. he is making things very ugly, yelling and swearing at my girlfriend in front of the kids. he tries to start things with me. he says he is going to go back to court for 50/50 custody. my question does he even have a leg to stand on?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Whether he has a leg to stand on is to be determined. The person asking for a change has the burden to prove it. From what you describe, I'm not seeing much reason to change this. That does not mean he won't try.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.