Omaha, NE asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Nebraska

Q: My boyfriend was arrested for domestic assault. This is his first offense with this, but he has other felonies.

I don’t want to continue on with it and just leave it at that. I don’t want a protection order or anything if the sort. What can I do? He is currently in jail waiting to see a judge. Bond is too high.

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You can contact the victim/witness department of the prosecutor's office or the other party's criminal defense attorney. However, if you change your statement, you can be charged with giving false statements to law enforcement or other charges. It is ultimately up to the prosecutor, not the victim/witness, whether the State proceeds with criminal charges against the defendant or not.

If you are in an abusing relationship, contact the WCA or other services about counseling or other services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.