Lexington, KY asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Kentucky

Q: How can someone be arrest on a complaint warrant when it wasn’t the victim that didn’t do the complaint at all. When the

Victim was the one that police came in on and because the detective didn’t get what me wanted from me he turned to my boyfriend and had him arrest 3 months after the fact. The Sheriff’s that came was confused over it and, supposedly the warrant wasn’t signed by a judge either. He spent 78 days in jail on a police office complaint. How can they do that and is that right? So anyone can just make a complaint that a person is being abuse and they’ll get arrested and spend that much time in jail with the “victim” not giving any information. He was let go on a failure to indict. Which then I had to call a attorney to make a call to get him out. What action can we take to see that this was wrongly done?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: An arrest can be made by police in a domestic case based on probable cause determined by the officer. He does not have to witness it or be present. An arrest may also be made upon a warrant issued upon a sworn statement of the police or private citizen. Consult a criminal defense lawyer near you to review your complete current situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.