Orlando, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: I am going through a divorce and And left the house 6 months ago and the wife is being difficult not letting me in the

The divorces in Florida The wife is being difficult and not letting me back into the house and I wanna know if I have any legal standing to just go to the house and make my way into the house somehow to get my equipment out of the house and if I do that and would I get in any trouble pork arrested

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Ferrin
Michael Ferrin
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If a divorce has not yet been filed, and no orders of exclusive use and possession have been issued, you have right to go back to your house so long as you are on the lease or are on title to the property. This sort of issue is common at the beginning stages of most divorces and you must be careful not to get yourself into a domestic violence situation. You can also try and have a police officer or sheriff escort you to the home to get your items. If that doesnt work or you are not comfortable doing that, you can always file your divorce and file a motion for access to retrieve what you need from the house or you and the opposing parties' attorney can try and work it out once they are in the case.

Stephen Arnold Black and Ira Markowitz agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.