Warren, MI asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Michigan

Q: I share custody with the father of my child. I want to enroll her in school, but in my district, he wants his. ?happens?

I share 50/50 legal and physical custody. My ex lives 40 minutes away from my home. I have lived in my school district and raised my daughters there for the past 16 years, now its my three year old turn to start kindergarten, but he will not agree to my school district. Instead, he is proposing we both drive 20 minutes to a midway point school district. I do not want to do this since school of choice is not really available. My school district is superior to where he resides. What do I have to do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Best solution would be to get ahead of this and file a motion with the court to determine. I think you are in pretty good shape having had kids already in the district, and you actually living there. I don't see a court ordering a school district that neither of you live in.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.