Fort Wayne, IN asked in Car Accidents for Indiana

Q: I was the victim of a hit and run in a lot. My car was parked. I left the scene. The driver was ok. Will I be charged?

I had no knowledge the police had been notified, therefore I left. Other civilians called an ambulance. There were no injuries.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If you were parked and somebody hit you hard enough for bystanders to be so concerned that they called the police and an ambulance, the police will wonder why you would leave without exchanging insurance information or making a police report for your insurance. The conclusion that would be drawn by the police is that your license was suspended, your insurance had lapsed, or you are intoxicated. When somebody causes that much damage to your car, the logical response is to be angry, not frightened. You can be charged with leaving the scene of a property damage accident. Nobody can tell you whether you will be charged, especially if the other driver acknowledges responsibility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.