Miami, FL asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Florida

Q: No, only two names. One on birth cert. The other on ID's now expired. Can't do anything witout ID.

People...I have no ID and no entity will give me one. These True ID laws are the problem. Birth cert. name and SS# name are different, and I don't have current ID. STOPS EVERYTHING!

2 Lawyer Answers

A: Do you have a question? Not enough facts to provide an answer even with a question. Such as why the name on the birth certificate and the name on the social security card are different? Marriage?

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You are apparently attempting to add to your prior post, but the way this Justia site works is that each time you post, it is viewed as a brand new post, seen by a different set of lawyers who may or may not overlap with the lawyers who saw your prior post. If you wish to follow up with the lawyer or lawyers who posted responses to your post, contact that lawyer or lawyers directly. Now, I happened to see your one prior post which stated: "Thank you; however, True ID mandated by HOMELAND SECURITY, US citizens must present two forms of ID. I dont have any ID or SS# in birth cert name, or name I've used for 60+ years. How do I get an ID under such circumstances?"

I don't know who you were thanking, or what you were thanking them for, but I indicated in my response to your post that you likely have the option of petitioning the Circuit Court for a name change. That option likely applies whether you have two different versions of your name, or three or more. Assuming you are eligible for a name change under Fla. law, you can change the name on your birth certificate to the one on your SS card, or vice versa, or take a name that is not on either of those documents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.