Saint Clairsville, OH asked in Uncategorized for Ohio

Q: Am I legally allowed to change locks and post no trespassing signs on a home I own but currently do not live in?

My grandma's boyfriend signed his home over to me July 2021. My grandma passed away November 2021. Her boyfriends kids got guardianship of him in September of this year and issued a no contact order to me due to having a felony charge 11 years ago so instead of him going to a nursing home I volunteered to leave the home. Unfortunately they weren't taking care of him properly so he ultimately ended up in a nursing home last week...I have not been at the house since September but can I go change locks and clean out the home since he is no longer living there?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You own the house and there is no one living there. However, best practice would be to pursue and eviction action before removing belongings and changing the locks.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.