Vero Beach, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: My son’s mom committed suicide and his Aunt has custody through Bossier court. I can’t afford a lawyer; I need help

I was living in Missouri at the time custody was granted to me and the divorce was final. Life was good; I got married again. One night she drink too much, way too much. I locked myself in a room with my son; made a video and I was also in contact with my child’s mom. I filed an order of protection and I filed for divorce. We both moved on. Months later, I got a phone call on Friday from the attorney wanting 2500 or they’re taking my son on Saturday. He’s been gone since 2019

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your post is confusing, so let me see if I got it right:

You were divorced from the child's mother, and you were granted custody.

Then you re-married. Your second wife got violent, while you and your son locked yourselves in a room so that she couldn't harm either of you. You divorced the second wife. At some point, the child's mother as i understand it, committed suicide and his aunt somehow was awarded custody.

What is a "Bossier court"? "They" are taking your son from his aunt? And, finally, who does this attorney represent, and what is her justification for extorting $2,500 from you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.