Tunkhannock, PA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Pennsylvania

Q: Will I be convicted of strangulation if it was self defense and it’s my first ever criminal charge

My mother broke into my room with a butterknife armed with a karate bow staff, attempted to hit me and the girl I was with due to disapproval of the girl, I backed her out of the room she fell back I fell back and continued to fight me so I placed my hand on her neck and then guided her to floor where I held her head down. There was marks on her neck but also scratches on mine. She hid the bow staff when the cops showed up

The police charged with strangulation

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Aaron Hinrichs
Mark Aaron Hinrichs
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Center Valley, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The police can decide to charge any person they reasonably believe to have committed a crime based on the information available and the investigation conducted at the scene of an alleged crime. I would think that the police were more sympathetic towards your mother than you given the circumstances. You should not be posting commentary on public forums about the incident since you have been charged and are making statements that could be used against you. I strongly suggest retaining counsel in light of the charge(s) that you have indicated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.