Dallas, TX asked in Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for Texas

Q: I just recently had a ticket dismissed, in Texas. Also, I have video evidence of supervisor, reprimanding the officer.

Is there a way for me to sue, for pain and suffering bc I was cuffed and put in the back of a Tahoe, at time searched car without permission. Maranda rights were not read, the traffic stop was dismissed in a court of law.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: "Pain and suffering" refers to conscious physical pain and suffering as a result of bodily injury. From the facts you describe, it appears unclear as to what bodily injury, if any, you sustained. You may be able to sue for a civil rights violation, but it doesn't look to me like you sustained any significant damages. It is also unclear what the ticket was for, and why the officer issued it to you. Just because a ticket was dismissed does not mean that there has been a civil rights violation. Civil rights lawsuits, especially against police officers and their employers, tend to be expensive and it is highly unlikely an attorney would take this case on a contingency fee. I'm not sure the return from any judgment on the investment of tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees would be worth it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.