Seffner, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: I want to leave my home but I'm 18 can I leave and just leave hay note sing by me and saying why I'm leaving?

I want to leave but what happens if she takes my note and takes it to hay judge

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Although in other states, an 18-year old is considered an adult, for the purposes of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Rule of Law says that a person is an adult at 21 years of age. However, an 18-year old may be emancipated (that is, legally brought to adulthood) either by the subscription of a deed whereby the candidate teen "adult" and his/her parents appear; or you may do so before a court of law in Puerto Rico. Besides being at least 18 years old, the Puerto Rico Civil Code requires that the teen have economic means to sustain him/herself that is not being supported by the parents, grandparents or other relatives.

Alternatively, you can join the armed forces, which would allow you to leave Puerto Rico. The important thing is that you can sustain yourself without relying on your family.

Merely leaving a note will not resolve your problems. On the contrary. Your folks will not take the note to the judge, but to the police. And they will treat this as a missing minor's case which can and will get you in hot water, once they find you.

Finally, if your reason for skipping out has to do with problems between you and one or more members of your family, before doing anything rash, perhaps you can speak with a trusted minister or teacher or counsellor.

I do hope that you find what you need, and make an informed and mature decision. I wish you well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.