Houston, TX asked in Animal / Dog Law for Texas

Q: Our 9 month old dog was bred without our consent at dog boarding. What can we do? The dog had 9 puppies all from our dog

We boarded our 9 month old dog in September for a weekend (Thursday-Sunday). On Saturday, the day before we picked him up, the lady that owns the dog boarding told us that our dog jumped the fence and mated with her dog. (Our dog was only 9 months at the time and much smaller. He has never even tried to jump a fence, or even our small gate at home). We also never saw video footage of him jumping the gate. So it happened on Thursday, and she didn’t inform us until Saturday evening.) Fast forward to this week, she told us that all 9 puppies were by my dog. We asked for a stud fee of the price of 1 puppy. She refused. We told her we do not give permission to register the pups. She is still selling the pups for a good profit. Anything we can do? Do we have a good case if we sue?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you can show the boarding facility was negligent in boarding your dog, you may be entitled to the monetary value of one pup.

You can file a lawsuit in small claims court if the value of one pup sired by your registered dog is less than $20,000.

The fact your dog jumped the fence and mated with another dog in and of itself is not evidence of negligence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.