Union City, NJ asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for New Jersey

Q: Theft of Services? Customer wrongfully disputed credit card charge

We have a tailor shop. A daughter and her mom hired us in July to work on her daughter's wedding dress for an October wedding. The charge was $1,300 paid in three installments. The dress was delivered on time in early October. Then the mother, who was paying, disputed all three credit card charges saying she never received the dress. We have video of them picking up the dress and being very happy with it. What can we do?

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: First I can't believe the answer of the other attorney who answered this question seems like a canned answer and didn't realize your not the one charged with the offense, you are the victim. That being said since you are the victim, first try going to the police and tell them what happened. They may say no, we won't file charges this is a civil matter, in that case you will need to sue them in civil court. That being said you can also go to the county prosecutors office and ask them to file criminal charges against the defendant, but depending on the county you are in I have heard people have had varying level of success.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.