Waterville, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: My son in-law stole my golf cart what do I need to do to prove it is mine? He is holding other items won't allow me them

My husband died my son in-law was nice enough to come and load my belongings from camp with the intent that he would deliver them to my brother. I asked to come get them as was told I could not come on his property. I have proof of what was taken as my sister helped load the items. Is this a form of theft?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Warren Smollens
Steven Warren Smollens
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Dear Waterville Resident:

Theft and Stealing are criminal acts and you may report your daughter and son-in-law to the local police or NY State Police.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.