Alhambra, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for California

Q: Want to sue landlord and other party for lying about residence of plaintiff in case against my husband.

My husband got in a fight with an individual at our apartment complex. The plaintiff falsely claimed to live here, he last lived here in 2019, he was here visiting aunt. We know he lived elsewhere (he told defendant) and records online show different address. Landlord lied to court saying he lived there because plaintiff is a nephew. This lie resulted in restraining order for our building, motel bills, and emotional hardship for our 2 children (3&5). Now we have to move to a more expensive apartment as well.

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This is not the type of case a lawyer will take on a all likelihood.

You will find it will be too expensive to retain a lawyer on an hourly.

I suggest you prepare a demand letter and when they don't respond, sue in Small Claims for $10k (the maximum)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.