Asked in Estate Planning, Probate and Wrongful Death for Georgia

Q: What happens to my recently deceased husbands part of an inheritance left to him in his moms will when she passes away?

My husband recently passed.His mom is now about to pass away.We’ve a minor child together& I have a minor daughter he raised. Ive 2 living adult stepkids both with children & 1 deceased stepchild who left behind 3 kids ( all minors) & a widow. My husband & I were married over 10 yrs .Our home & 1 acre are solely in his name & it’s paid off. I sold my home inherited by my parents during our marriage to pay for medical bills home improvements his sons legal fees & to supplement loss of his income when he became unable to work. I was his primary caregiver. Vehicles are in my name & other than the house & a few personal belongings he had no other assets. His mom has quite a large estate & in her will she leaves a portion to my husband along with her 4 other children (land & cash) my husband has a wrongful death suit filed by me & our daughter that’s ongoing-he had no will-Ive yet to file for probate-Im unsure how to proceed, what to expect, or look out for to protect our best interests

1 Lawyer Answer
Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Senoia, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Your husband has predeceased his mother. What happens to husbands' inheritance will be controlled by the specific terms of the will.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.