Center Ossipee, NH asked in Criminal Law for New Hampshire

Q: Am I allowed to fire my public defender and hire a paid attorney to take over my case?

How would I go about doing that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard D. Harden
Leonard D. Harden
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Lebanon, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: You can fire any attorney. You would need to notify your lawyer and inform them you are unsatisfied with service and would like them to withdraw. If you have hired another lawyer the newly hired lawyer can contact the existing lawyer. It is routine that people are unhappy with their lawyer for various reasons and changing a lawyer is your right to have counsel of your choosing. The court has the ability to limit the change if it can be shown to be generated in bad faith or to delay the proceedings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.