Miami, FL asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Florida

Q: I filed the small claims suit never received an answer by mail. I found out 2 to 3 weeks later that the judge made a

decision was not what I had asked for. I filed a motion for a new hearing was denied. I found this out 20 days later because I went online received nothing by mail. What can I do to get a new hearing?

1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You asked for a rehearing and the Court denied it. That's the end of you getting a new hearing. It may be possible to appeal the ruling, but you'd need an attorney who practices appellate law to review the case and the timelines for filing a notice of appeal are very tight.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.