Grand Rapids, MI asked in Divorce and Legal Malpractice for Michigan

Q: If I had requested to fire my attorney (private), and the judge denied it without letting me give probable cause, can

my divorce be null and void since I was forced to comply with the divorce decree under duress? My Lawyer was known for making motions. He filed only 1 in my case and he wasn't even present for it. I was so poorly represented and my lawyer was doing nothing to help me, even though I sent texts/emails/phone messages consistently with no response.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: No, it will not nullify your divorce. Was it a consent judgment or did you go to trial?

As an aside, being "known for making motions" isn't necessarily a hallmark of quality lawyering.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.