Phoenix, AZ asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Arizona

Q: My daughter's ex who no longer resides here showed up to visit the kids with a baseball bat in his hand. legal or not ?

He says her new boyfriend verbally threatened him the night before.

3 Lawyer Answers

A: It would probably be best if your daughter’s new boyfriend didn’t visit her during the times when the ex is scheduled to pick up or return the kids.

The kids do not need to be exposed to that.

Stephen M Vincent agrees with this answer

Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Schenectady, NY

A: This is exactly the situation that family courts are established and operating: parents who need a bit of jail and child access controls only the state can give.

Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Obviously, he didn't bring the bat to play baseball with the child; he brought it to have a potentially violent confrontation with the boyfriend in front of the child. That is really problematic.

If there are orders in place, your daughter might want to consider seeking a modification. it may also be time to explore changing the location of the exchanges to a public place, and her boyfriend should immediately cease all communication with the father of her child.

I recommend your daughter consult with an attorney before taking any action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.