The Bronx, NY asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: son lives w/aunt and daughter with BF but I support both .Does this exclude the father from paying court ordered CS?

He filed a motion to discontinue paying because my children aren’t living with me but I still have them under my health insurance and provide for them financially .What is the law on this ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Sounds like your children are not emancipated - which means that he is not entitled to terminate his child support obligation. The issue is where should his child support payment be directed? Maybe the payment should be directed to your aunt since she is the one caring for and paying for the expenses for the children (other than healthcare insurance coverage).

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.