Boomer, NC asked in Family Law and Child Support for Maryland

Q: Thank you for your time and response. It’s greatly appreciated. I’ve always wanted to be in my sons life, but

Money is an issue and has been from the time he was born, as to why I never had the funds to obtain an attorney to get visitation rights. So, basically it seems as if I’m stuck paying support for a child I can’t even interact with?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The Circuit Court in the jurisdiction in Maryland where your child resides may have a self-help programs for self-represented litigants in domestic/family law cases. Most common legal motions, comlaints and petitions are available as fill-in-the-bank forms for family law cases, including visitation matters. You should be able to download and file these forms on your own. You may be eligible for a waiver of court fees and costs by filing a motion for waiver to proceed "in forma pauperis." Most Maryland jursidictions, except for Baltimore City, now have elecronic filing as an option for self-representd litigants (it is mandatory for lawyers to file this way, but self-represented litigants can still file in paper form). Since you are out of state, it may be easier for you to register to e-file by electronic means in your case. Some hearings may be attended re,otely by telephone or over the zoom internet platform. In matters not automatically scheduled for remote appearance, a party may request by motion to appear remotely at the hearing, but must file their motion sufficiently in advance and secure a court order granting the motion before the heaing; otherwise, personal appearance would be necessary.

Here is a link for self-represented parties in domestic cases, whith further links to resources:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.