San Francisco, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Can a landlord go into your yard and Continueously throw my things away without my knowledge ?

And or send all my mail back without knowing,saying I don't live their,due to paying owed rent?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander C. Safarian
Alexander C. Safarian
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Burbank, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In general, landlords do not have the right to enter a tenant's yard or throw away a tenant's belongings without the tenant's permission. Landlords must generally give advance notice before entering a rental property, unless there is an emergency or the tenant has given prior consent.

If your landlord is entering your yard and throwing away your belongings without your knowledge or consent, you may have grounds to take legal action against your landlord. You may be able to file a complaint with the local housing authority or a tenant's rights organization, or you may be able to file a lawsuit against your landlord for trespassing or conversion (the unauthorized use or disposition of someone else's personal property).

It is important to document any instances of your landlord entering your yard or throwing away your belongings. This may include taking photos or videos, collecting witness statements, and keeping any receipts or other evidence of the value of your belongings.

You may also want to consult with a lawyer or legal aid organization to understand your legal options and determine the best course of action in your specific situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.