Colorado Springs, CO asked in Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: How do I find out if my aunt left a will? She lived in Puerto Rico when she passed.

Didn't find any documents when I went to clean out her home.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: The process entails submitting a copy of your late aunt's death certificate, then, preparing and submitting a request for testmentary certification to the Office of Notary Inspections ("ODIN", by its Spanish acronym). ODIN will certify whether or not your aunt left a will and identify the notary who authorized it and the date on which your late aunt subscribed her will. In Puerto Rico, the authorizing notary must file a certified copy of the will within 24 hours of its signing.

If no will exists, you'd have to file a petition for declaration of heirs before the Puerto Rico court; or go before a notary authorized to practice in Puerto Rico for a declaration of heirs following the non-contentious affairs procedure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.