Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Small Claims for Kentucky

Q: My old roommate sold off all belongings and left cats abandoned before giving them away.

In 2020 during the height of covid and the winter storm that year I was really evicted and had three cats at the time. I had a "friend" offer to house my cats and then a month later offered to let me move in with them as well. On Father's Day that year I was gone all day and when I came home I was being kept from going into the building and neighbors who were friends of said roommate started at a physical altercation with me. I didn't find out until several months later that they sold off all my belongings and then left my cats abandoned for at least a week before giving them away to someone working at the corner store across the street. I had my oldest cat for 12 years and the other two for at least 2 years. I called to try to get officers to let me into the building so I could at least get my cats that day and they just scoffed at me and said we don't help people check on their cats. It's ridiculous because it's literal theft. I couldn't get any help. Is there anything I can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You can file a civil suit against the roommate and whomever else sold, damaged, destroyed or gave away your property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.